Thursday, November 11, 2010

A cold bee



The weather has turned colder at night in Charlotte. Nothing extreme or unseasonable - Monday we had our first frost. Thus the bees are staying in when it is cold. This morning when I returned from the Y, I noticed a lone bee clinging to the side of the hive - similar to the bee in the photo. She she was not moving, I assumed she froze to death. Wanting to take some pictures of the bee, I plucked the bee of the hives exterior and put her on the window ledge in the kitchen. After a cup of coffee and a shower, Karen tells me there is a bee on the ledge - I explain the story etc. Well a few minutes pass and Laura tells me the bee is alive, again I explain the story and Laura and i go take a look at the Bee. Except now the bee is moving! The bee was not dead, she was just cold and not moving- so I place her on a spoon and placed her in the sun outside. When I checked on her at 11am - she had flown away to rejoin the hive.

Moral of the story- do not bring bees in the house.

In addition to that adventure - I did check on the hive at lunch. Weather is mid 60's so the hive was happy. Everything in the hive looked good. The honey stores are looking good, some of the stores have been uncapped. I did place a pollen patty in the hive. Between the pollen patty and the stored honey they should have plenty to eat.

Happy Veterans Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment