Friday, April 16, 2010

Week One




After a week, the bees are looking good. The brood frames are getting built out in a nice manner. The edge frames (8,7, and 6) are still light - this is the side where the bees where inserted and the other side is where the queen was placed last Friday. If I dont see frames 6-8 get built soon, I will rotate the frames in an attempt to get brood on all frames. Although I looked, I could not find the queen. Laura also suited up, and helped karen and I. The bees are feeding well- pace of food consumption slowed after the intial days. I assume the bees where hungry from the trip , but between the feeders and the pollen they are eating well. There was a small amount of wax that we had to scrape from the side of the chamber. I was glad to see the wax build up- as it gave us the opportunity to scrape it and see the texture of beeswax. The wax was very sweet - as silly as it sounds tasted like honey.



We placed one honey super on, and also installed the queen excluder. We have a second honey super to install, but the intial wax comb had fallen off many frames. Since working in bee gloves is difficult, we will repair the frames and add the second super the next time we open the hive. Overall we are pleased with week one.



Weather - sunny and mid 70's. Overall good weather week.

No comments:

Post a Comment