Saturday, June 5, 2010

How much sugar does it take to produce honey?


I am going to start tracking how much sugar I purchase. I can recall purchasing four bottles of Karyo syrup, two five pound bags of sugar, and one bag of powdered sugar for the bees. They like to eat sugar water, since they are a new hive they dont have any stored honey thus on rainy days and days when the flower nectar isnt flowing the bees would go hungry if they didnt have sugar water. Once the hive is established they will have stored honey and should need less sugar water.


Hive looked good today. The second brood box is getting built out. The build out is occuring on the center frames. The lower brood frame looks very good. I saw alot of eggs and larve in both brood boxes.


I did dust for mites this afternoon. The bees appear to really dislike being dusted for mites. The dusting process consists of applying powdered confection sugar over the frames with a flour sifter. They bees really got worked up when I was dusting. Today's picture is the post sugar dusting - they eat the sugar off of themselves and others.


To answer a common question - I have not been stung by the bees yet.

Weather hot and humid. Lows 90's.
Beekeeper
Earl
P.S. Is anyone besides me tired of Sarah Palin? I cant even watch the Belmont without hearing about Sarah Palin and seeing her at the race.

No comments:

Post a Comment