Friday, June 25, 2010

A Kenyan, A General, A Reporter and a Beekeeper walk into a Irish Pub


Interesting news week. Although I agree with the general, he proved that it is never a good idea to have several drinks with a reporter and start talking about your moronic boss. The President did what he had to do to preserver the chain of command, and a four star general should have know better- especially since he already got away with a public disagreement once. Overall the article is a good article , it was probably the title of the article that really got the Kenyan mad "...the wimps in the Whitehouse" feel free to read it it http://rollingstone.com/poltics/news/17390/119236 - some extreme differences between the Kenyan and the Snake Eater.

Thanks for tolerating my ramblings. Now onto the reason you follow the beeblog...the bees.
After several emails with NJEB about the merits of feeding bees in the summer. I decided to follow NJEB's lead and stop feeding the bees. Why did I stop the sugar syrup feedings you ask. 1. Ants - ants where attracted to the hive 2. I didnt want the bees to start storing sugar water in the hive - if they dont have any real honey in the hive for the winter, I will just resume feeding 3. NJEB stated that there is plenty for the bees to eat and when I ran Wed night, I hit a bush and had several large yellow spots on my shirt. The yellow spots where large pollen deposits from a crape myrtle . Once that happened I knew NJEB was right.

Although I didnt refill it with sugar water the top feeder was completely empty. I suspect the bees wher partially using the sugar water to cool the hive. Once I was done checking the frames, I did put the top feeder back on the stack, but I refilled it with fresh water. As hot as it has been the bees need alot of water.

As the hive heats, bees either go outside to reduce the body het in the hive or they will fan water across the frames- thus misting themselves to reduce the tempature. Today's picture shows how many bees were outside the hive.

If you have been watching the World Cup, the sound of the soccer horns sounds very simliar to the hive when you "smoke" them. I noticed this while watching the the Brazil vs. Ivory Coast game.


Although I might have riled a few bee blog followers up about my Kenyan comments; regardless of your voting record, keep the armed forces and their families in your prayers. Being in the miltary is hard job, that doesnt have the hours or financial rewards of cushy corporate life. Thanks dad !

No comments:

Post a Comment