Monday, April 11, 2011

I have never seen so many bees

One nice thing about working from home, is you can take a 30 minute break and do things for yourself. Since we dont have any workers at the house today- I decided to check the hive. I am amazed at how many bees are in this hive. Two very full deep supers of bees and brood. Although I did not see the queen, she is in the hive and laying egs like mad. Plenty of eggs and larve. The hive is really enjoying the heavy pollen. Pollen and honey are being produced in good quanity. The top honey super is fully drawn and I estimate it weighs 20-25 pounds. The hive is working on drawing the Ross Rounds out. Honey is starting to be stored in the rounds. On Saturday, I will add a fourth honey super.

I was in the hive approximately 20 minutes. Towards the end the hive started getting annoyed, so I buttoned the hive up. If I go back in this weekend, it will be a quick trip to add another super to the top of the stack.

I did send John and NJEB a few extra pictures, as I am curious if I saw a queen cell being built. I will let the readership know what they say.




On a non bee topic- carport is progressing on schedule. Framing should start tommrow, the foundation, brick work, and sewer connection are completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment