Friday, April 15, 2011

A peek inside before the rain arrives

Been in Denver for the past three days at a managers meeting. Fairly productive meeting - typicaly a managers meeting is a productive as a Presbyterian session meeting. Lots of hot air, bad chair and you cant wait to leave - but we actually got alot done this week. Although I really like the west and moved to Charlotte from Denver, I really have no desire to return to Denver. Our meeting was in the Denver Tech Center (near my parents old home). When we lived there in the mid 80's it was a nice sized city with a unique culture - now it is eastren southern california. That is not a good change from my perspective.




Since the weather is calling for rain tonight and Saturday, I wanted to check the hive today.

Good news first:
1) Top Super is full of honey and very heavy.
2) Ross Rounds continue to get built out and plenty of bees are in the rounds working
3) Hive has cleaned the frames on the new super - the frames where dirty from hive 1.0 . The frames should start receiving new food stores,ad the comb has been cleaned and refurbished byt the hive. Very interesting process.

Interesting News:
1. Queen cells that I saw last weekend remain and appear unchanged.
2. Bee population appeared a little lighter than last week. This could be due to the foragers being gone or if the queen has failed bee population will decline for the next two or three weeks.

Bad News:
1. Did not see queen today - looked through all of the supers (admitely I am not very good at finding her)

Misc.
1. Although I want my hive to be healthy, I am not concerned about losing any honey production due to a new queen or potential swarming. I want enough honey to give away to friends and family but I have no desire to have 100's of pounds of honey. NJEB helped me adopt this "Let it B" philosphy.

Enjoy your weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment