Friday, September 10, 2010

Moving Day



Regardless if your an adult, child or honey bee moving day is never easy. I havent made a big move in a very long time but I can recall the anxiety. I think the bees where rather anxious as they really started buzzing during the move. I might as well be a native of Charlotte I have been here so long, but prior to arriving in Charlotte I moved plenty. Being rather canid with the bee blog reader, Karen and I have been putting some thought (nothing to serious) to the topic of moving as we both have a love hate relationship with Charlotte. But onto the bees...

To start the my face has returned to normal size and shape. On Monday afternoon I had a rouge bee sting me on the tip of my nose. My face swelled like I took a punch from Mike Tyson. I wasnt even near the hive, I was working on the house. The Brushy Mountain order arrived this weeks, so I was able to assemble some new equipment and move the bees. I had to order a deep super as all of my orginal equipment was medium. The bees have some more room as I added a second medium super (additional four frames) and installed the new deep super for their honey. Moving frames from one hive to another really got the bees worked up. They really got worked up when I was moving the honey frames. Since the equipment that I bought from Libby was a 10 fram setup but only had 9 frames installed - I had to remove one honey super. I was able to find one that didnt have that much stored on it. I was very happy to be in the full Homer Simpson suit today. The additional space should work well fro the bees as I feel the hive was getting a little crowded. Additionally the new top screen, isnt covered with wax so they should not beard in these warm fall days. When winter arrive, I will use my solid winter top cover.

Weather is good - low humidity weather upper 80's when I checked the hive.

Non Bee items:
1. Its race weekend for Karen, Bee Keeper Kathy and Rebecca they are racing the White Lake triathlon on Saturday then heading to Beekeeper Kathy's beach house for a nice weekend. Hope they all have a good race and enjoy their time at the beach.
2. Good college football weekend. Sooners need to play better than they did last week against Fla. State if they are going to win.
3. I caugtht the last 20 minutes of President Obama's press conference today - hell might be freezing over as I liked what he had to say and wish he and all politician would take the candid approach he took in his press conference toady.

No comments:

Post a Comment