Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Smoker Strikes Again

Nice day in Charlotte. The morning was cold, wore my "nice yellow jacket riding jacket" and gloves on the morning ride to Waxhaw. Later in the day it warmed up and I was able to start painting the exterior of the house.

On Friday, Libby Mack stopped by and gave me some honey from one of her hives. The honey was a gift for giving her the 10 frame equipment. She has been very helpful, so that was rather nice of her. As far as I know this is the first local honey that I have ever tasted. I was intrigued as to the thickness, as the honey was thinner than typical store honey.

Overall the hive looked good. The honey frames are still heavy and I saw some bees yesterday with full pollen pockets. The brood frames that I pulled looked good. The primary reason for working the bees today was to administer a mite treatment. I chose the Apivar treatment pads. I have not noticed a mite issue, so this is preventative and from what I can tell a common practice amongst beekeepers.

Now to the smoker...as you might recall in the early spring while lighting the smoker I light the recycling bin on fire. Well today, I touched the smoker with my "nice yellow riding jacket" and it was hot enough to melt a hole in my jacket. So add another $100 to the bees tab. Hopefully honey futures jumped on Friday with the price of wheat as their tab is getting big so I am expecting a huge honey crop in the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment