Saturday, May 1, 2010

The 21st Day

Day 21 is a big day for a new beekeeper and a new hive. Day 21 is when the transformation from egg to larve to bee is complete. I did have a chance to check the hive and we do have new bees. This is a great sign. Still have not seen the queen (or at least recognized the queen), but hopefully our bee mentor can point the queen out and give us some pointers on how to find her. We hope to have our mentor stop by the house this weekend. The bees appear to prefer the front jar feeder to the top feeder - this is just my observation based upon how often the front feeder is empty.

Frame 8 does not have any activity, frame 7 has a small amount of activity. The honey frames have very little activity. I hope now that the hive is increasing in size the honey supers will have more activity.

Karen and I are looking forward to meeting our mentor as we have numerous questions to ask. I am suprised that I am enjoying beekeeping as much as I am, because when Karen first proposed keeping bees - I thought she was crazy.

Brushy Mountain is very slow in shipping the supplies that I ordered. The Ross Round Comb supers have not arrived; when I called them last week the guy stated they where 8 days behind in shipping. Not sure how you get behind on shipping when your a mail order business.


Weather clear and sunny low 80's

No comments:

Post a Comment