Friday, May 7, 2010

Installed the Ross Rounds

Once Laura came home from school, she and I suited up and installed the Ross Rounds. Karen and Allison are headed to Savannah to pay hommege to the founder of girl scouts.
We are at the hive, looking at frames and Laura says "Look there is the queen" and she was right. I look for weeks and she spots the queen within 20 seconds.

We saw plenty of larve and the queen was at work on frame #7. Very little activity in the second brood super. Althogh John said we should not have a feeder above the honey super; I left it one. I didnt want to pour the sugar water out and attract ants. If they have not eaten the majority of the syrup by the end of next week- I will dump it as instructed.

The Ross Round supers are on, and we are encouraging the bees to make honey comb. I still do not fully understand why you utilize a smoker. The smoke really gets the bees stirred up and they start making alot of noise (wing flappings).

Weather - sunny and hot. 90 degrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment