Sunday, May 2, 2010

A Mentor, A Queen and a small fire



John Byers (bee mentor) stopped by this afternoon. He was able to find the queen- I thought we paid to have the queen marked, but the queen is not marked. Since the queen is not marked it took a few minutes to find her. John was very helpful as he suggested we change the direction of the hive and remove the entrance reducer. We moved the hive 45 degrees and will move another 45 degrees later in the week. In addition to removing the entrance reducer, we moved some frames around. John also suggested two brood supers. When I asked about the queen excluder- he stated a queen excluder is really a matter of preference as some beekeeprs use them and some dont.





John did reign in my expectations of having honey this fall. After talking with him, I am not sure if we will have any honey this year. I hope we get at least enough for us. Although honey expectations where reigned in; he dis say everything looked good.



We did joke about how slow Brushy Mountain is to deliver orders- apparently I am not the only person who considers them slow to deliver.

The difference between the teacher and the student today was evident in our clothing. John - jeans, long sleeve shirt, and veil (no gloves) Earl- gloves, veil, full bee suit. We were both hot, but when I took my bee suit off I looked liked I had just finished a 10k - just drenched.

Now to the fire...it is windy today so I was having trouble lighting the smoker. I used the house and some schrubs as a wind break and somehow light my recycling bin on fire. I am glad that the city of Charlotte gave us a new recycle bin as one of our bins is gone.




Overall a good day. Warm and windy.

No comments:

Post a Comment