Friday, August 20, 2010

The first check of Hive 2.0




Since hive 2.0 proved themselves to be a group of thugs from South Carolina by stinging me when I brought them home earlier in the week- I put the full Homer suit on tonight. The thugs probably lived in Summerville and graduated from USC. Hot day for the Homer suit, but my forearm is finally back to regular size and tommrow is the Lake Norman triathlon so I dont need any new stings. Being stung for the first time was a right of passage that I didnt enjoy.

During bee school the instructors stressed the importance of the bee keepers strenght when selecting equipment - eight frame versus 10 frame and deep versus medium. Being the fitness fanthat I am; I thought they where making a mountain out of a mole hill until tonight. The is a huge weight difference between an eight frame medium super and a 10 frame deep super. Hive 2.o is a 10 frame deep super set up and I estimate that each super weighs 70 -80 pounds. Heavy supers are good as that indicates a lot of bees and stored food.

Compare the size of these deep frames against the medium frames from the start of the blog. Big size difference.

Today I only unscrewed the hive as everything was screwed in place for the move and I also removed the entrance reducer that was installed for the move. I did not give the hive a through inspection today, as I have lost my hive tool. I will go to Home Depot after the race tommrow and buy a small nail puller , as this same thing as a hive tool. Purchased from H.D. it probably cost $5 , purchased from Brushy Mtn Bee Supply probably $20 since it has a bee on it.

Although I didnt give the hive a through inspection, I was very happy with what i saw. As you can see in the pictures, the frames are full of bees, pollen, and a little honey in the corners. I am glad I am a beekeeper again.

Hot humid summer day clear sky.

P.S. Our friend Janey Atkinson (Tom and Gigi's daughter) arrived in Chile today- she is a rotary exchange student for her junior year in Chile. Karen, Earl, Allison and Laura find this very exciting - A & L are very interested in being exchange students through the Rotary Club.

No comments:

Post a Comment