Sunday, August 8, 2010

Probably the last post until spring

We returned fromt eh Curlin tournment last night and I made a quick check of the top feeder. feeder still had syrup in the holds so I thought things where good until tonight. Just got back from really checking the hive and things are fatal. The pollen patties had maggotts in them, the feeder had a ton of dead bees, the combs had spider webs on them and there where only about a 100 bees left. I left the 100 remainding where all trying to scrap what little syrup there was in the feeder out. I left the top off the stack, hoping that the remainding bees can quickly find a new hive otherwise they will likely be field bees by tommrow afternoon.

This is dissapointing to say the least. Perhaps if John and I go harvest the swarm from Doug Bradleys building on Saturday, I can get a nuc hive. In the meantime, I need to review the past four months, find my critical errors and determine what I was doing right so I will either be ready in the spring or will do better with a nuc colony.

I am dissapointed and sorry to post such discouraging news. I really enjoyed my short experiences as a beekeeper and hope to be back soon. Thanks for reading.
Earl

No comments:

Post a Comment