Saturday, August 14, 2010

What Happened with Hive 1.0

After a few days of thought, this is what I think occured to Hive 1.0

A few mistakes where made by the rookie beekeeper. The first mistake was my decision to stop feeding the bees. When I stopped feeding the bees, the hive was only 9 weeks into becoming an established hive. Thus they where just getting started in building their food stores. The scond mistakes that I made is when I didstart feeding again, I was using a front feeder. After a few books, I learned that front feeders attract robbers and pest such as Hornets and yellow jackets. I had a fair number of yellow jackets surrounding the hive. Thus I think the yellow jackets invaded the hive and robbed and killed some of Hive 1.0

Since Hive 1.0 perished, I have learned that many of my fellow bee school classmates, have also experienced hive failure, so I dont know if we all bought bad bees or if we just made enough errors that we killed our bees. NJEB feels the bees were somewhat defective, since they were not foraging and others had issues. I would like to blame the bees, but I think I made them weak when I stopped feeding them and then I assisted the yellow jackets by using a front feeder.

Beekeeper Kathy has stated and I agree with her that Obama is to blame for the death of Hive 1.0 - anything and everything that goes bad is Comrade Obama's fault. I am sure I will end up paying a dead bee tax.

I am will likely purchase a new hive on Sunday, as the bee school leader has a complete hive (bees and equipment ) that she is looking to sell. She has told me she has nine full frames of bees and food stores. Hopefully only a few hours until I am Beekeeper Earl again.

No comments:

Post a Comment